Life is Beautiful, Part 1

Life is Beautiful (Korean) - Tae Sub & Kyung Soo


Okay, so, I "watched" this latest drama. "Watched" is in quotes because I couldn't watch it. It's because for some strange reason, none of the episodes (or most of them) were unavailable to watch. I tried on Dramacrazy.net but none of the beginning episodes were working, and I am not going to watch the last twenty episodes of a drama without watching the beginning. Even episode twenty or thirty wouldn't work. I went from place to place to try and watch the episodes but the videos wouldn't work. I got lucky enough to watch the first episode on some random site. The only thing I was able to watch was twenty-seven videos about Tae Sub and Kyung Soo. The person who put them together only included like if the both of them were hugging or talking or having a fight with their families. I watched a fan-made video about the both of them and there were scenes I never saw. One example is when Kyung Soo is leaning against the trunk of his car on top of a mountain cliff. Now, I'll get into my usual from what I was able to watch.

First off, I liked how this drama showed that it is hard for homosexuals to be open about themselves. First with themselves, then with their families, and finally the outside world. In one of the earlier videos, I read a few comments that said Korea basically does not accept homosexuals. One comment said that very few families actually do accept that family member. In the drama, Kyung Soo's mother always had a fit about them being together and something about family status. She even wanted to send them out of the country! Now, Tae Sub's family is a different story. Sure, at first they were shocked but when they saw their son happy, they were happy for him.

I didn't like it how Tae Sub and Kyung Soo had to hide themselves from society. But it's totally understandable because they would be seen as monsters (which is what Kyung Soo's mother called him). I also didn't like how the both of them argued with each other a couple of times. I also didn't like that Tae Sub looked like he thought he was intruding when Kyung Soo's ex-wife and daughter appeared at Kyung Soo's for his birthday. Tae Sub excused himself by saying there was work to be done. Whenever one of them looked like their heart was breaking. I felt like my heart was going to break, and I wanted to start crying with them.

One thing I liked was at the end of the twenty-seventh video that linked back to something from the twenty-fifth video. Tae Sub said that he had prayed at one point and Kyung Soo wanted to know was it was so that if it sucked he would pray something better. Tae Sub then said he had prayed, "If there is a God, let us be together until the day we die." Kyung Soo said that the prayer didn't need to be changed because that is exactly what he had prayed. This links back to the video I mentioned.

They are at Kyung Soo's when Tae Sub whispers something into Kyung Soo's ear and after looking very emotional (like he's about to get teary-eyed), Kyung Soo looks up at the ceiling like he is thanking God. My guess is that this is when Kyung Soo is praying to be with Tae Sub for the rest of their lives. And about that scene when they are at his place, the camera shows that the kitchen and front room are empty. On the counter is the wine bottle, the opener, and two wine glasses that are still full. Then we see two couple rings (one on top of the other) on what appears to be a side table in the bedroom.

In the end, from what I was able to watch (though it was very little compared to what else was going on), I enjoyed watching this. Whenever such a show or movie brings what I'm about to say up, I take the opportunity in a heartbeat.

I don't care if someone is gay, lesbian, bi, or straight. What I care about is if the two people love each other. That is the only thing I care about. After having watched Torchwood: Children of Earth and listening to Ianto talking to his sister, it opened my eyes even farther than what they were before. Granted I may not have a preference because I am not sexual or anything but I live for love. Not the 1960s version of love, peace, and all of that other crap. The love I live for is when two people (whether the couple is straight, gay, lesbian, bi, bi and gay/lesbian, etc.) are able to love each other without having to put up with crap from the government, society, and especially their own families. I see those who are not straight as being people. They are your common, everyday folk. They're your next door neighbor, your post person, your newspaper editor... They bleed, they have feelings, and they especially have love. As long as two people are in love, it should not matter what type of a couple they are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boys Over Flowers

Tree of Heaven

SOTUS